Tuesday 6 October 2020

UTOPIA (full article at The Guardian Australia)

This is my first time writing for The Guardian Australia website, which is very exciting. I have a piece on Dennis Kelly's brilliant UK conspiracy thriller, Utopia, at the link below.


I was first introduced to Utopia on a visit home to the UK in 2013. Not to be confused with Working Dog’s well-loved, deadpan infrastructure sitcom, this Utopia is Dennis Kelly’s weird, dark and idiosyncratic conspiracy thriller. I was hooked from the opening sequence. Over the course of three days, I binged the entire first season and was blown away.

Utopia is one of the most powerful and electrifying pieces of television I’ve seen. At the time of that first watch, I duly expected it to feature on “best of TV” lists for years to come, alongside the likes of The Wire, Breaking Bad or The Sopranos, of which Utopia is more than an equal. It was quite a surprise then to learn that Utopia existed only as a cult hit (albeit one with fervent fans), was dismissed from its home on the UK’s Channel 4 after only two seasons, and remains criminally under-seen almost everywhere else, including in Australia.


Read the full review at The Guardian Australia:
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/oct/07/utopia-one-of-the-decades-most-electrifying-and-criminally-under-seen-thrillers


IMDB: Utopia

No comments:

Post a Comment