Wednesday 3 August 2011

NORWEGIAN WOOD (M.I.F.F.)

A soulful, beautifully filmed, slow burn, based on the Haruki Murakami’s acclaimed novel. Norwegian Wood tells the story of Watanabe and his love for two girls. One, Naoko, a troubled, fragile spirit from his youth; back in his life and still unable to come to terms with a tragedy that haunts them both; and the other, Midori, an intriguing new love.

It has indeed been a very long time since I read the book, so comparison was hard. What I can say was that the film was excellent.  Fully transporting you back to the 60’s, with gorgeous scenery in the Japanese countryside, and it’s captivating storyline, it paints a tragic portrait of grief and love. Nonetheless, I found myself riveted as the story is unfurled.

Sad but ultimately rewarding.

On the MIFF rating system I gave this film 4 stars out of 5.

IMDB: Norwegian Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment