Saturday 6 August 2011

THE FUTURE (M.I.F.F.)

Miranda July’s follow up to the delightful ‘Me You and Everyone We Know’, turned out to be a wretchedly irritating glimpse into the first world problems of a complete dickhead.

As fair warning, I’m not going to have any qualms about spoilers in this review, on account of the fact you can’t spoil a turd, and I’ll be doing you favour by saving you the anguish of having to sit through it.

Pending their imminent adoption of a cat and thus signalling, you know, adult responsibility and shit, Sophie (Miranda July) and Jason (Hamish Linklater) start having a mid 30’s crisis and decide to both quit their jobs and stop going on facebook for 5 minutes so they can spend their days doing awkward, pretentious dance routines and go do volunteer work selling trees respectively. Then, somewhere along the line, out of the blue Sophie decides to start an affair with a bloke she met over the phone. She moves in with him, yet continues to be the most pretentiously annoying human being on Planet Earth. There follows a downright bizarre set of sequences where, amongst other things and for no discernible reason,  the man’s daughter buries herself up to her neck in a hole she dug in the garden (!!); and then later on Sophie climbs inside an oversized t-shirt and proceeds to prat about doing a stupid dance.  Oh and did I mention that the whole thing is narrated by the cat they were due to adopt? Childishly voiced by Miranda July, it’s cloying, saccharine monologues will likely cause the viewer to exhibit feelings of annoyance and irritated rage.

Miranda July’s whole ‘I’m a wacky and unusual creative’ schtick wears real thin, real fast, and her character is just a deeply dislikeable arsehole. I am still unsure as to whether the audience is supposed to be rooting for her character or not, but I really can’t see any reasoning as to why they should. By the time ending trundled into site I was beyond caring about anyone in this movie and was more annoyed with the fact I just wasted 20 bucks on watching such monumental drivel.

So just to be clear, I flat out DESPISED this film.

On the MIFF rating system I gave this film 1 star out of 5, but I would have given it zero if I had been able to.

IMDB: The Future

1 comment:

  1. I saw the trailer for this and it was an instant no way. And as you've perfectly nailed all the irritating points about the trailer alone, I applaud you for managing to sit through the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete