Friday 14 January 2011

REVIEW OF 2010

Ok ok, so with the end of another year it’s time to take stock and evaluate (apparently). So here goes with my list of the best (and worst) films from the past year. Some of these beauties are reviewed elsewhere on here, some are likely to be forthcoming, and others were just too darn good for words/awful to speak of (translation: I can’t be arsed to review them).

I should definitely have written a review for Boy, because it is a fantastic movie and I utterly loved it. To have not reviewed yet, does not sit well, as it’s defeating the point of the blog to have not written about a film I enjoyed that much. Monsters too should have got a write up after I saw it during the Melbourne International Film Festival (M.I.F.F), but I plum ran out of time. Red Hill is on my reviews agenda.

Anyway onward and upward. 2010 was a good yield overall. I couldn’t pare the list down to 10 so I’ve gone with my top 14 for 2010 in, more or less, descending order (subject to random changes of mind and/or alterations on a whim).

1.    Scott Pilgrim Vs The World
2.    Tron: Legacy
3.    Iron Man 2
4.    Red Hill
5.    Bunny and the Bull (didn’t come out until 2010 in Australia, so I’m including it)
6.    Boy
7.    Monsters
8.    Lemmy
9.    Avatar (late 2009 so I’m including it)
10.    Machete
11.    Animal Kingdom
12.    The American
13.    Four Lions
14.    Predators

Honourable mentions for the movies that just missed out on the top list by a gnat’s cock are:
Hot Tub Time Machine,
The Road,
The Concert.

The disappointments (enjoyable, but not as good as they should have been):
Extract (As a HUGE Mike Judge fan, this left me very cold),
The Expendables and
Kickass.

The shit worst:
The A Team. Displaying a COLOSSAL lack of respect for the original series – from Liam Neeson bad mouthing it in interviews, to lack of theme tune. It missed the point wholesale on just about everything that made The A Team great. Sharlto Copley was admittedly a great Murdock, but otherwise, fuck this movie.

And finally…
Those not included, because I still need to see them:
Piranha,
Easy A,
Winter’s Bone,
Toy Story 3,
Inception,
The Infidel a.k.a. The Reluctant Infidel

No comments:

Post a Comment