Wednesday 2 May 2012

C.H.U.D.

Let’s kick things off with some personal background to C.H.U.D., or Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers, if you prefer. This particular sci-fi horror opus has always been something of a white whale to me. Let us travel through the hazy mists of time back to the early/mid 80’s where I was but a film obsessed child of a marvellous new technological age. Yes friends, I was witnessing the birth of a brave new dawn for humanity as the cinema found a new home in our living rooms. The home video boom was upon us.  Many was the time when I would go into Flickers, our local video library (as they were called in them days) perusing the many titles that I was both allowed and forbidden to rent. C.H.U.D. fell into that latter category. The cover of the video staring down at me from the racks, was both scary yet intriguing at the same time. Part of me wanted to see it desperately, and another part of me was too terrified of it, much like the large Reanimator poster they had in there for a time.  Also I’m sure my friend Chris Purser had claimed, at the time, to have seen C.H.U.D. thus elevating his credibility in those long gone days when having watched (or merely having claimed to have watched)  a 15 or 18 rated film was a badge of honour. Now, thanks to the sterling work of the Melbourne Horror Film Society, who screened it in the back room of a Northcote pub in a double bill alongside fellow mutation sensation, The Stuff, I have finally clapped eyes upon C.H.U.D. and I can once again hold my head high in the playground.

C.H.U.D. then, is a rollicking good fun sci-fi horror yarn about a subterranean bunch of glowy eyed toxic beasties, picking off homeless folk and errant dog walkers while Jaws-style beaureacrats try to cover it up. Starring future Home Alone alumni John Heard and Daniel Stern as a photojournalist and soup kitchen chef who soon get hip to the fact that something is decimating New York’s underground street people population. They team up with maverick cop Captain Bosch (Christopher Curry) whose ragged pursuit of the C.H.U.D. investigation stems from a mysterious and personal vested interest.

It was a bit of a slow burn to begin with. It took a little while to crank itself up, and I could perhaps have done with a bit more actual screen time for the C.H.U.D.’s, which I can only imagine must have been due to some budgetary reason. But when the C.H.U.D.’s attack they up the ante with a rather excellent head hacking set piece. The upshot of it all is that there is a lot of fun to be had here. There is an early career appearance from John Goodman and the geezer off of Mork and Mindy as a couple of beat cops, and the C.H.U.D.’s themselves are excellent hulking, slimy fiends.

I’m stoked to have finally seen it, and once seen, not only will you have enjoyed a tasty slice of 80’s mutant horror, you’ll be able to fully understand the C.H.U.D. reference in The City of  New York Vs Homer Simpson!! Predictable 80s staples are easily forgiven, as this flick got heart.

IMDB: C.H.U.D.

Excellent (but sadly sold out) C.H.U.D. t-shirt design from Fright Rags

No comments:

Post a Comment